Sunday, December 19, 2010

Malaysia

We arrived in Kuala Lumpur in the evening around 11 pm  and would not make the train or monorail times so we took a taxi from our Tune Hotel.  Pricey way to do it seeing as the airport is like an hour or so away with no traffic.  The hotel was kinda crap and would not use that chain again, but it was cheap so......
We were so tired the next day we slept in a bit and did some laundry while we tried to figure out where to go around the area.  We woke up the next day early  to go up in the Petronas Towers, which is a beautiful building and maybe the only nice one in the whole city.  We waited hours in line and to just walk on the bridge, seems like a waste of money really.  The area around the towers is actually nicer to visit in our mind.  Ray had seen an ad at the airport for a car show and we were sold when it said Bumblebee and The Batmobile were there.  We hopped on the monorail, I felt a little dizzy, maybe dehydrated or just tired so we sat in some big chairs for awhile while I drank an isotonic drink to feel better.  Then we made our way in to the show.
The music was thumping, the girls in cheesy skimpy outfits were present, and the asian men were everywhere.  It had  4 sections of a huge building and Ray was really enjoying the cars, I was just waiting for the good ones.  Ferrari, Porsche, Lamborghini, and my favorite the Austin Martin like the bond car.  I had a good laugh at some of the outfits on the girls, I asked Ray what does a nurse have to do with cars?  He just laughed!  The expensive cars, or classy companies they wore suits and were very pretty.  Then I saw him, "16 ft. Bumblebee", how awesome is that?  My first thought was Mikey, he would have loved this.  Well after the car show we made our way back to the hotel.
If anyone knows us they know we love Malaysian cuisine, and we heard the food here was fantastic.  I searched and searched for a true authentic restaruant and all I came up with was Chinese, Indian, and more Indian restarurants.  This continues on all through Malaysia, but we did find some good food eventually.
We left after 4 days to Penang by luxury bus which is really only like &20 canadian so why not, why ride in some shit bus for 5 hours right!  The bus  was great, movies, big seats, aircon, and free coffee and tea ect....good ride.  We booked a hostel there called The Red Inn, on Love Lane, or as I would call it backpackers Lane.  It was in Georgetown, cute little place, with a huge Chinatown and Little India of course.  The architechture here is very colonial.  The hostel thing sucked once again, it's just not us anymore we decieded.  Kids up at 3 am chatting, watching movies and dirty bathrooms.  The room was clean and private but I hate using earplugs every night.  We decided after 4 nights, after getting our Visas for Thailand which you have to do before unless you only want 15 days on arrival, we decided to do it before and get 60 days.  We love Thailand so....
We found some really good, probably the best East Indian restarurant we have ever been to called " Woodlands", it ws a vegetarian restauarant and it was so amazing, the taste was so good.  We ate there twice it was that good.  I felt like we had become vegetarians in our quest for good food in Malaysia.  I realize soya milk in milkshakes is good and tofu chicken is not that bad.  After our time here we broke up the trip to Thailand, with a stop in Langkawi, a small island off Malaysia,there is nothing for us here, we did not like it and I think we were just kinda done with Malaysia now so we stayed 2 nights and a ferry out of  there to Satun Thailand where we made our way to Trang then onto the island of Koh Lanta, one of our favorites from last time we were here.
All in all Malaysia is suppose to be the new Thailand, a lot of people use it like a visa run stop. Like Thailand was before the tourist buzz. I still like Thailand better, and the beaches were not very hospitable in Malaysia, it had jellyfish and they were really hard to find.  Malay food is hard to find and the people were not as helpful as we have had in Thailand.
We are so happy to be in Thailand again, the beach beautiful, the food excellent, and the people are amazing again.  We are staying at the same place which has a new owner now and it is even better than befor.  We have a scooter and I have already spent a bunch of money on jewellery.  Ray has been like a little kid again, he is always smiling and so am I now.  He has a bit of a cold which is weird but all in all we are very glad to be here again....

4 comments:

  1. Hello you two!! Thought we had lost you for awhile. Tomorrow I am taking my laptop to two computor fellows who I think will help me get my email back. Ray I think I understand some of the lingo and problems with Shaw and email now. We'll see.
    You really sound so much happier to be where you like the country.I have yet to hear anyone dislike Thailand. The lack of cleanliness in many countries can throw you off!!
    Xmas is soon and we will miss you. One day we will talk about Xmas and what it has become. Honestly I will be glad to see it over this year. I know Tom and Mary will make it cheerful.
    So glad to know you are safe and sound where you want to be. Take care and relax. LoveM

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey you two I am so glad you found your happy place! And safe and sound...tonight is Eric's 1st x-mas concert I can't wait! I'll put some pics up later. We will be with mom on x-mas eve, Joel's family x-mas day, Joel's uncle's for his annual boxing day dinner. And for New Year's Eve we are having friends over. We will be thinking of you..I can't remember the last x-mas we were together little brother, we will have to make that happen some day. Miss you! SIS

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad to see your message on your blog....I love reading about your experiences....I have printed this off for your Dad, he is in bed early, his eye bothering him abit lately, so not much TV. Nice that you are back in Thailand, enjoy yourselves, be safe. Our Christmas will not be the same this year without everyone around...very quiet. We miss you and send our love!!!! ♥♥♥

    ReplyDelete
  4. Merry Christmas! We are at Joel's parents at the moment and just wanted to take the time to say hello and wish a very merry one! Love you! SIS

    ReplyDelete